MKJ Group

Match Report | Cards Deal Aces to Trump Shrimpers

Nigel Beesley
2:58pm, Mon 17th Oct 2022
Woking 2 Southend United 1
FA Emirates Cup Fourth Qualifying Round
15th October 2022

Woking beat a determined Southend United at the Laithwaite Community Stadium on a changeable afternoon weather-wise where Spring, Summer and Autumn all made an appearance. Ultimately it was Sarll’s substitutes that made the difference, with the introduction of new signing Rhys Browne and then Ricky Korboa, giving fresh impetus to a match heading for a midweek replay, combining to fashion a winner that ensured that the hosts would be present in Monday night’s first round draw without the need for another match.

The Cards named an unchanged side from last Saturday’s 3-2 reverse to Notts County and there was also a familiar name in the returning Jake Hyde leading the attack for the visitors. Referee Rueben Ricardo signalled to start proceedings underway at 3pm.

After a cagey start from both sides, the first incident of note was in the sixth minute when Dan Moss tripped Bridge, stopping him going too far into the box, and was rightly cautioned for the challenge. Shortly afterwards The Cards were awarded a free kick some 20 yards out from goal.

Josh Casey and Padraig Amond stood over the ball and the latter then curled the ball around the wall past the despairing dive of Noukea in the Southend goal to give the Cards an early advantage inside the first ten minutes. The relief of scoring his first goal for the club was palpable as he sped away towards the touchline then sliding on his knees with his teammates in hot pursuit eager to congratulate him.

Buoyed by this early strike, the Cards broke forward with a potential 4v2 situation, but the chance went wide and the scoreline stayed at 1-0. They continued to attack and force the visitors back as the half progressed, with only sporadic counters from the Shrimpers which saw former Card Hyde becoming increasingly frustrated with the lack of service.

Southend were awarded a free kick on the far side after 37 minutes which led to their equaliser against the run of play. Bridge and Husin exchanged passes from the dead ball to curl this behind the Woking defence where Hyde found space in the box to turn the cross past Craig Ross and send the travelling support into raptures on the Chris Lane Terrace.

Woking were clearly taken aback at parity being restored and took several minutes to regain the initiative. Dan Moss made a driving run towards goal but this was thwarted and two added minutes failed to produce any more chances as both sides headed to the changing rooms with the darkening skies heralding a sudden downpour during the interval to help liven up the surface.

Half-time: Woking 1 Southend United 1

The second half started on a disjointed note, with both sides struggling to gain any impetus. Powell found his name in Mr Ricardo’s notebook after a strong challenge on Reece Grego-Cox and then Kyran Lofthouse drove into the area, only to have his protest waved away as he was dispossessed when in a good position.

The game was now into the last half hour as Woking tried to create openings but were forced to shoot from distance by the well marshalled Southend defence. With 20 minutes left a rainbow appeared behind the Kingfield Road End and Amond was withdrawn to be replaced by Rhys Browne making his debut, having been signed from Wealdstone on Friday.

The new striker showed some good touches and looked lively as the hosts took hold of the game in attempting to avoid a replay. Southend made a change with Fonguck replacing the tiring Bridge and then Ricky Korboa coming on for Grego-Cox to further strengthen the home attack.

Browne was still causing problems with his willingness to run with the ball and he was instrumental in what proved to be the winning goal. Having held the ball up on the edge of the box, he found Casey making an overlapping run down the left. His cross into the area was dummied by Browne leaving Korboa with space to sweep the ball home to give Woking the lead on 82 minutes; his teammates were clearly delighted for him also scoring his first goal for the club.

Southend then made a double change with Murphy and Wreh replacing Powell and Hyde with five minutes left on the clock. They had a half-chance to equalise when a ricochet almost caught Ross unaware, but he was alert to the danger and kept his side in front. The Cards then made their final change with Jim Kellerman coming on for James Daly as the fourth official’s board signalled four additional minutes, during which Ross made one more save as the Shrimpers pressed for an equaliser. Shortly afterwards the man in the middle blew his whistle to end the tie and signal Woking’s progress into the draw for the First Round Proper.

In a game where set-pieces reigned it was refreshing to see a goal from open play ultimately decide the contest. The Cards will be pleased that they managed to get past their opponents and all eyes will be on ball 69 in the live televised draw on Monday evening to see who they will face in the First Round Proper over the weekend of the 5th/6th November.

This Saturday they make the long trip up to the Northeast to play Gateshead (3pm) before successive home games against Dorking Wanderers on Tuesday 25th (7.45pm) and then welcome Eastleigh on Saturday 29th (3pm). Tickets for both these games are available now.

Woking: 13 Craig Ross, 2 Kyran Lofthouse, 3 Josh Casey ©, 4 Scott Cuthbert, 6 Luke Wilkinson, 8 James Daly (17 Jim Kellerman 90’), 9 Reece Grego-Cox (7 Ricky Korboa 78’), 10 Padraig Amond (14 Rhys Browne 70’), 12 Dan Moss, 23 Jermaine Anderson, 24 Rohan Ince

Unused subs: 5 Joe McNerney, 18 Jack Roles, 29 Jake Vokins, 1 Ethan Wady (Gk)

Goals: Amond 9’, Korboa 82’

Bookings: Moss 6’

Southend United 40 Blondy Nna Noukea, 2 Gus Scott-Morriss, 5 Shaun Hobson, 6 Ollie Kensdale, 7 Jack Bridge (18 Wes Fonguck 77’), 8 Noor Husin, 11 Callum Powell (19 Chris Wreh 85’), 17 Cavaghn Miley ©, 22 Kacper Lapata, 24 Jason Demetriou, 39 Jake Hyde (9 Rhys Murphy 85’)
Unused subs: 30 Collin Andeng-Ndi (Gk), 4 Louis Lomas, 12 Tom Clifford, 16 Harry Taylor

Goals: Hyde 37’

Bookings: Powell 53’

Referee: Reuben Ricardo

Attendance: 1974 (427 away)

Man of the Match: There were several notable performances, especially Dan Moss who shrugged off an early caution to contribute with some surging runs but the sponsor’s choice, St George's Heating & Plumbing, was Padraig Amond who opened the scoring and led the line well until being replaced by Rhys Browne.

Shop Online

adidas 1/4 Zip Training Top

adidas 1/4 Zip Training Top

adidas 2023/24 Away Shirt

adidas 2023/24 Away Shirt

adidas 2023/24 Home Shirt

adidas 2023/24 Home Shirt

adidas Laithwaite Financial Services Boz's Fruit and Veg Jewson MKJ Peacock Construction Seymours The National League Vanarama

Woking Football Club Limited
A company incorporated in England and Wales (company number: ‍03329172)
Registered office The Laithwaite Community Stadium, Kingfield, Woking, Surrey, GU22 9AA

Click here to read our Data Protection Privacy Policy
Click here to read our Accessibility Statement