Woking News & Mail


Andy Avery
12:00am, Sun 17th Feb 2008
Farsley Celtic 3 Woking 0
16 February 2008

Football can be a great game sometimes, and at other times it can be very disappointing. After two great performances against clubs in and around the play-offs, Woking faced a team down the other end of the table and came away with nothing, having been comprehensively outplayed.

Right from the kick-off Farsley seemed up for the game, although Woking also had chances and forced a couple of early opportunities through Norville and Pattison, though neither effort really troubled Aspden in the Farsley goal.

The first goal almost came in the 11th minute when a back pass was chased by the impressive Torpey, who rushed Worner. His kick was sliced straight at Torpey, who reacted instantly but, fortunately for Worner, his shot went wide of the open goal. Farsley stepped up the pressure, with Reeves seeing a shot well saved after a fine run. If either side was going to score it looked like it would be Farsley and sure enough in the 20th minute they took a deserved lead. McNiven came forward from the back unchallenged and he slotted the ball through the Woking defence for Craig Bentham to control before slipping the ball past Worner down to his left and into the corner.

Farsley piled on the pressure and almost doubled the lead when Lorraine?s back header fell short but Bentham?s shot was superbly saved by Worner.

Woking?s best effort of the game came in the 28th minute. Morgan fashioned himself a chance out of nothing and fired goalwards but Aspden was equal to it and tipped the ball over the bar for a corner, which was wasted.

In the 31st minute Jason Norville hooked the ball over his defender to open up a chance of a free run on goal. He seemed to be clearly obstructed but nothing was given ? the first of a few decisions that didn?t go Woking?s way in the first half. Three minutes later a firm challenge from Paul Lorraine seemed to win the ball easily but the referee saw fit to book him. From the resulting free-kick Rory Prendergast (who seems to have lost his desire to fall over if anyone breathes on him) had a great effort that was again well saved.

A couple of minutes later it was 2-0. Farsley won a corner and Reeves had a free header which was parried by Worner, but it was Reeves again who reacted more quickly than any of the Woking defence and fired home from close range.

The half ended with two key decisions from the officials. Morgan had a shot that was cleared off the line. Though he seemed convinced the ball had crossed the line, the referee waved his protests away. Then in the last minute of the half Morgan got the ball in the net following a Woking corner that caused a scramble in the box. The referee gave the goal but then noticed his assistant was flagging for offside and changed his decision. It seemed a strange call from the assistant as there were many bodies on and around the goal line.

Half-time Farsley 2 Woking 0

It was a scrappy start to the second half punctuated only by an early Farsley change, with Watson coming on for Gardner. Any hopes Woking had of getting straight back into the game were killed off in the 50th minute. The ball was played out left to Prendergast who fooled two Woking players by stepping inside. Having found some space, he looked up and then slipped the ball forward to Torpey, who easily beat Worner at his near post.

Frank Gray made a double substitution to try and change the game, with Sole and Lambu coming on for Green and Ruby, but a minute later it was almost four nil. A breakdown in communication between Lorraine and Worner saw a back pass heading for the Woking goal but Worner was able to recover and stop the ball just short of the line.

The rest of the half saw lots of half chances. Woking pushed forward, leaving gaps at the back, but Farsley were unable to convert the space into clear chances, whilst at the other end Woking had many efforts from outside the box that failed to hit the target.

Farsley fully deserved their win as they won battles in every area of the pitch. They were lively up front, first to every challenge and header and the defence held a high line, giving Woking?s midfielders little room to create chances ? Aspden had a very quiet game in goal. The experience of Santos, Torpey and Prendergast was vital in a good performance and, if they continue to play as well as they did in this game, then they have every chance of staying in the Blue Square Premier.

Woking, on the other hand, had a game to forget, with very few positive performances. They seemed slow and second to every ball and, despite creating lots of half chances, never really looked like getting anything from the game. It will be interesting to see how they react to this defeat in their next game.

Woking: Worner, Ruby (Sole 52), Lorraine, Hutchinson, Bunce, Batt, Gray, Pattison, Green (Lambu 52), Morgan, Norville.

Subs Not Used: Gindre, Marum, Maledon.

Booked: Green, Lorraine.

Attendance: 479

My MOTM: Jason Norville ? the only player who played well and looked dangerous despite the lack of support.

Shop Online

adidas Home Shirt

adidas Home Shirt

adidas Away Shirt

adidas Away Shirt

1887 Cardinals Tee (White)

1887 Cardinals Tee (White)

adidas Tiro 21 Hoodie (Red)

adidas Tiro 21 Hoodie (Red)

adidas Kitlocker Laithwaite Financial Services Boz's Fruit and Veg BCAS Jewson Lovetts Solicitors Mayford Motors MKJ Prince and Sons Rams FM Seymours Specsavers The National League Vanarama

Woking Football Club Limited
A company incorporated in England and Wales (company number: ‍03329172)
Registered office The Laithwaite Community Stadium, Kingfield, Woking, Surrey, GU22 9AA

Click here to read our Data Protection Privacy Policy
Click here to read our Accessibility Statement