FA Trophy (R1)
3:00pm - SaturdaySat 12th DecemberDec 2015
Meadow Park | Att: 275

Boreham Wood
Boreham Wood
1 - 2


Cards aim for Trophy success

Brian Caffarey
10:04am, Thu 10th Dec 2015
Boreham Wood v Woking
FA Trophy 1st Round
3pm on Saturday 12 December 2015

Garry Hill has made no secret of his disappointment that, while he and Steve Thompson have met with much success in the league in their rein at Kingfield, a good FA Cup or FA Trophy run has eluded them. With three wins in the last four league games easing worries about slipping into a relegation fight, there is every incentive for the Cards to pull out all the stops to make progress in this year’s Trophy competition. It won’t be easy at Boreham Wood but the tie is certainly winnable if the Cards can approach the form they showed in recent wins over Tranmere Rovers and Lincoln City. Make the trip if you can to cheer on Garry Hill’s side!


Last Saturday’s 3-1 win over Lincoln City saw the Cards play what was probably their best football of the season, looking solid at the back, creative in midfield and clinical up front. Everyone contributed strongly, including outstanding performances from Dan Holman, John Goddard, Bruno Andrade and Matt Robinson.

Both Chris Arthur and Keiran Murtagh should be available to challenge for a starting place, and Gez Sole and Godfrey Poku ought to have returned from their loan spells, but it would be no surprise if Garry decided to stick with the same line-up which began the game against Lincoln.


The two sides last met in the Trophy in the semi-finals in 2005-06, with Woking progressing but going on to lose to a talented Grays Athletic side in the Final at Upton Park. Since then the Wood have scaled several rungs of the football pyramid to join the Cards in the Vanarama National League.

As predicted by many, Boreham Wood have found life tough following promotion: following Southport’s midweek win at Gateshead they have now slipped into the bottom four, with 22 points from 24 games. At home they have drawn their last three games: goalless draws against Chester and, most recently, Tranmere and a 1-1 draw against Lincoln City. As these results suggest, goals are proving hard to come by but, on the other hand, not many are being conceded either.

With the Wood moving to daytime training, long-serving manager Ian Allinson stepped down in October with assistant manager Luke Garrard taking over as player-manager, although Allinson has since returned as Director of Football.

The Wood’s success last season owed a lot to the goalscoring exploits of Lee Angol, who was on a season-long loan from Luton Town and who joined Peterborough United in the summer. But the Wood managed to secure the services of experienced striker Charlie MacDonald, perhaps surprisingly released by Barnet. Other signings included Danny Woodards, Scott Doe and Luke Howell – all with plenty of League experience. Doe and Howell were team mates of Brian Saah’s at Dagenham and Redbridge. Other additions include ex-Chelsea youngsters, midfielder/striker Billy Clifford and striker Conor Clifford (unrelated). More recently, the Wood signed ex-Barnet defender David Stephens. Ricky Shakes, formerly with Ebbsfleet United but also with plenty of League experience, missed much of Wood’s last season, while midfielder Clovis Kamdjo, often influential for Salisbury City against us, is on loan from Forest Green Rovers. Another talented midfielder, on loan from Barnet, is Mauro Vilhete. Anthony Jeffrey is a pacy wide man.


Meadow Park
Broughinge Road


By Coach

The Cards Trust coach leaves the Laithwaite Community Stadium at 12.30pm and costs £13 for members and £18 for non-members, with accompanied U16s at £7/£9 (a maximum of two with one adult). Phone or email ( the Club Shop today to book your place.

By Car

Head for M25 west bound and exit J23, A1 Southbound to London. Exit slip road to Borehamwood. Join A5135 and go straight over two roundabouts. At third roundabout take second exit into Brook Road. Away supporters’ car parking is in the Brook Road car park. There is also parking in the Civic car park about five minutes’ walk away. The AA gives the journey time from Woking as about an hour.

By Train

Nearest station: Elstree & Borehamwood on the Thameslink line

Take the train to Waterloo and then go by tube to St Pancras International or Kentish Town to pick up the Thameslink train to Elstree and Borehamwood. Direct trains from St Pancras International go from Platform B at 10, 24, 40 and 54 minutes past each hour and take 22/24 minutes.

Walking from the station to the ground takes around 20 minutes. When you come out of the train station, turn right and walk all the way down Borehamwood High Street until you come to McDonalds on your left. Turn left into Brook Road. The car park and the away supporters’ entrance is on the right-hand side in Brook Road.

Trains back are at 08, 23, 38 and 53 minutes past each hour.


Adults: £16
Over 65s: £12
U16s: £8

The game is expected to be segregated, with away supporters occupying the South Stand, which can be accessed only from the entrance and turnstiles in the Brook Road car park.

If a replay is required, it will take place on Tuesday 15 December with a 7.45pm kick-off.


Boreham Wood 1 Woking 1
29 August 2015

Most Woking fans will remember this game as the one in which Ismail Yakubu suffered his season-ending cruciate injury – such a blow to Ismail personally and to the club at a point when the Cards had made such a promising start to the season in spite of the similar injury suffered by Scott Rendell in the opening game at Tranmere Rovers. Arguably, Woking’s defensive jitters began that day and have only been allayed by the recent partnership of Joey Jones and Brian Saah.

Things all looked fairly rosy at half-time, with the Cards generally dominating the game and having taken a 1-0 lead in the 40th minute through a superb Kadell Daniel free-kick after Keiran Murtagh had been brought down on the edge of the box. The only real concern at that stage was the sight of Joey Jones limping off to be replaced by Godfrey Poku.

The Cards started the second half looking determined to grab a second goal, going close on several occasions. But the goal didn’t materialise and the Cards’ cause was then weakened by an injury to Mark Ricketts, who, after limping in midfield for twenty minutes or so, was eventually substituted by Bruno Andrade. The Wood sensed that there was a way back into the game and the crucial factor was the appearance of the speedy Junior Morias, who duly equalised in the 83rd minute after a pacy run into the box and smart finish. To make matters worse for the Cards, Ismail Yakubu suffered his serious injury in the process.

In the remaining minutes the home side threatened to grab all three points but the makeshift Woking defence somehow held on.

Boreham Wood: Preston Edwards, Ben Nunn (Junior Morias 76), Danny Woodards, Scott Doe, Callum Reynolds, Ricky Shakes, Luke Howell (Matthew Whichelow 54), Charlie MacDonald (Harry Crawford 54), Graeme Montgomery, Conor Clifford, Billy Clifford

Unused subs: James Russell, Josh Hill

Goal: Junior Morias 83

Woking: Jake Cole, Jake Caprice, Chris Arthur, Mark Ricketts (Bruno Andrade 77), Brian Saah, Ismail Yakubu (Ben Pattie 87), Joey Jones (Godfrey Poku 48), Keiran Murtagh, John Goddard, Kadell Daniel, Dan Holman

Unused subs: Nick Hamann, Giuseppe Sole

Goal: Kadell Daniel 40

Attendance: 601 (258 Woking fans)


The Cards are away to Gateshead next Saturday (19 December) and then away again at Aldershot Town on Boxing Day (Saturday 26 December). Their next home game is against Boreham Wood on Monday 28 December.

Come on, you Cards!

P.S. Don’t forget to come along to the Laithwaite Community Stadium next Wednesday evening (16 December) for the Cards Community Christmas event. Look up the website for full details.

Cards squeeze through in Trophy

Brian Caffarey
9:38pm, Sat 12th Dec 2015
Boreham Wood 1 Woking 2
FA Trophy 1st Round
12 December 2015

A deflected Gez Sole free-kick in added time saw Woking advance to the next round of the FA Trophy on a day when, at half-time, most Cards fans would probably have been happy to have settled for a draw. Boreham Wood had taken an 8th minute lead through Mustafa Tiryaki and generally had the better of the first forty-five minutes. But, aided by the blustery wind, the Cards gradually began to assert themselves after the break and drew level with a superb strike from Brian Saah from a corner. Either side might have won the game thereafter and Wood fans will no doubt feel that they ought to have lived to fight another day but luck was on the Cards’ side with Gez’s free-kick and then Jake Cole pulled off a magnificent save to prevent a final twist in an entertaining and well-contested match.

Not surprisingly, Garry Hill started with the same side that had taken the field against Lincoln City, but there were two changes on the bench, with Gez Sole, returning from his loan spell at Basingstoke Town, and Chris Arthur replacing Kadell Daniel and Terell Thomas.

In a lively start to the match the Wood’s Conor Clifford, a very influential figure in midfield in the first half, outjumped Joey Jones to force Cole to make a smart save down at his near post. The Cards immediately countered with a quick break from Matt Robinson, who fed Dan Holman but his cross-cum-shot went straight across the goal. But the home side continued to threaten, with a defensive clearance skied over the bar for a corner. This was defended poorly, with Tiryaki seizing a loose ball which had rebounded off the post and then firing home through a crowd of players to put the Wood 1-0 ahead with only eight minutes played.

The Cards remained hesitant in defence, with Brian Saah slicing the ball over the bar on the next attack. However, the pressure was relieved at least briefly by a fine break out of defence, John Goddard – who was largely marked out of the game in the first half – playing a splendid crossfield ball to Bruno Andrade, who advanced to fire the ball just wide of the far post.

But the home side, boosted by authoritative displays by Clifford and Clovis Kamdjo in the middle of the park, and pace on the flanks in the shape of Anthony Jeffrey and Mauro Vilhete, continued to push forward. Clifford, given plenty of room, shot over from distance but Tiryaki came close to bundling the ball in, in the 21st minute, from a Vilhete cross after Goddard had lost out. Another chance followed immediately when a potential Woking counter-attack broke down and Cole had to beat away a fierce drive from Clifford.

In an increasingly rare Woking attacking move, Dan Holman did well in the 29th minute to turn and make space for himself twenty yards out before unleashing a well-struck effort which looked destined for the top corner before Wood keeper, James Russell, clawed it away to safety.

And then it was Jake Cole’s turn to shine as he saved again from Clifford before Tiryaki wasted a good chance to double the home side’s lead. The Woking defence seemed to stand off him as he took aim. Fortunately for the Cards, he went for power rather than accuracy and thrashed the ball wide.

The Woking goal led something of a charmed life briefly as half-time approached. Jeffrey managed to escape Cameron Norman’s clutches to fire in a wicked cross, which led to a scramble before the ball was somehow smuggled away upfield.

Just before half-time a lucky ricochet put Goddard through on goal but he chose to try to pass to Holman instead of shooting and the Wood defenders were quick to snuff out any chance of the on-loan striker profiting.

It was something of a relief when the half-time whistle came, with the Cards only one goal behind. The side had found it difficult to get any real rhythm going, failing to exert control in midfield, often being forced back, and consequently providing little service to Andrade, Holman and Quigley.

Half-time: Boreham Wood 1 Woking 0

The first ten minutes or so of the second half did not suggest that any major change in the pattern of play was about to take place as the side struggled to implement Steve Thompson’s shouted instruction to ‘get hold of it’. Jeffrey worked his way across the box but Cole made a comfortable save. He looked more anxious, however, when a corner swirled in towards him, with the ball having to be hacked clear.

Gradually, however, the tide seemed to turn in Woking’s favour, perhaps helped by the blustery wind, which made it harder for the Wood to clear the ball upfield. Mark Ricketts snapped into tackles and Goddard and Robinson found themselves with more space. Holman was pushed further forward, with Quigley dropping back to make himself easier to reach and proving a useful target man. It was noticeable, too, that the Wood began to concede free-kicks as they sought to thwart attacking moves.

Evidence of the shift in the balance of play came as Russell was forced to make two exceptional saves in a row as both Andrade and Goddard went close. But when the equaliser came shortly afterwards, in the 63rd minute, it was from an unlikely source. Brian Saah, however, did brilliantly to reach John Goddard’s corner beyond the back post as it looked destined to drift out of play and to volley it, from a narrow angle, into the far side of the goal: a strike any forward would have been proud of.

The goal naturally gave a further boost to the Cards’ morale but their confidence was nearly punctured straightaway when Jeffrey crossed right across the face of the goal when the merest touch from attacker or defender would have produced a goal. The Cards were then indebted to Ricketts for a characteristically brave block to deny Kamdjo.

But thereafter it was generally Woking who looked the more threatening side. A quick counter-attack in the 83rd minute saw the ball moved swiftly forward to Holman but his shot was blocked. Patient possession play then saw the Cards win a free-kick on the edge of the box as Robinson was brought down. Goddard’s free-kick was saved by the wall. But by the time the next free-kick was awarded on the stroke of full-time Gez Sole had been brought on and, indeed, it was he who was fouled by Clifford as he drove forward. The free-kick was quite a long way out but it took a substantial deflection, completely deceiving Russell, to put the Cards 2-1 ahead.

But there was nearly a final twist in added time. Saah failed to clear, conceding a corner. The Woking defence allowed Joe Devera a free header but Cole made a fantastic point blank save before the ball ricocheted around the penalty spot and was eventually cleared.

Woking were perhaps rather fortunate to travel home with a win from this tie but they did well to recover from a rather unconvincing display in the first half and get themselves back in the game after the break, with everyone putting in a good shift as they collectively upped the tempo and showed more aggression and determination to succeed against a useful Wood side.

Boreham Wood: James Russell, Scott Doe, Callum Reynolds, Luke Howell (Charlie MacDonald 67), Conor Clifford, Clovis Kamdjo, Anthony Jeffrey, Mauro Vilhete (Ricky Shakes 71), Mustafa Tiryaki, David Stephens, Joe Devera

Unused subs: Danny Woodards, Junior Morias, Billy Clifford

Goal: Mustafa Tiryaki 8

Booked: Luke Howell, Conor Clifford

Woking: Jake Cole, Jake Caprice, Joey Jones, Brian Saah, Cameron Norman, Bruno Andrade (Keiran Murtagh 79), Mark Ricketts, Matt Robinson, John Goddard (Jimmy Keohane 90), Joe Quigley, Dan Holman (Giuseppe Sole 89)

Unused subs: Chris Arthur, Nick Hamann

Goals: Brian Saah 63, Giuseppe Sole 90

My MOTM: A team effort but my vote goes to Joey Jones (pictured) for another assured display in defence and some adventurous attacking moves

Attendance: 275
Boreham Wood LINEUP
1Jake Cole
2Jake Caprice
26Cameron Norman
5Brian Saah
7Joey Jones
4Mark Ricketts
14Matt Robinson
15Bruno Andrade
11John Goddard
20Dan Holman
19Joe Quigley
18Nick Hamann
3Chris Arthur
8Keiran Murtagh
23Jimmy Keohane
10Giuseppe Sole

Boreham Wood 1 - 2 Woking (Garry Hill Interview)

Shop Online

adidas 2022/23 Away Kit

adidas 2022/23 Away Kit

adidas Kitlocker Laithwaite Financial Services Boz's Fruit and Veg BCAS Jewson Lovetts Solicitors Mayford Motors MKJ Prince and Sons Rams FM Seymours Specsavers The National League Vanarama

Woking Football Club Limited
A company incorporated in England and Wales (company number: ‍03329172)
Registered office The Laithwaite Community Stadium, Kingfield, Woking, Surrey, GU22 9AA

Click here to read our Data Protection Privacy Policy
Click here to read our Accessibility Statement